Friday, 20 August 2010

Jade Vine - advice please

On our recent holiday I saw Jade vine (Strongylodon macrobotrys) growing over a trellis at Flecker Botanical Gardens in Cairns. Because it is winter this vine would not have been at the peak of flowering but it was still spectacular.

The flower clusters can be over a metre long and are the most beautiful aquamarine colour. It is a truly spectacular vine. I’ve thought about growing this vine for a while now but have hesitated for two reasons. First, I may not be able to even source it in Brisbane and second, if I can, I'm not sure if it will survive our Winter.

They are native to the Phillipines (so I've been told) and I’ve read they will not tolerate frost or temperatures below 15 degrees C. But then I’ve also read elsewhere that people have successfully grown them in cooler areas. One person said they will tolerate winter as long as they aren’t too wet which sounds reasonable. I think I should try – It would be worth it.


We have a good strong trellis to grow it on or I could also grow it up over a tree. We only get very light frost and generally only few a few days each winter. I think it would survive. I think it is definitely worth trying.....
Has anyone grown this guy and can give me advice on what I should do?

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've always wanted to grow those. They're related to mucuna, which I have grown from seabeans! I suppose I would just keep the base protected so that it can grow back if damaged... that's all I got. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a nursey that sells it so went out and bought two. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you send me the details of the nursery please. gecko@netspeed.com.au

      Delete
  3. I like your spirit! I'll wait with interest to see what happens. It is an amazng looking plant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, great attitude to have! I can't wait to see how they do!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...