Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Jurassic Garden

The owners describe their garden as Jurassic and although I wasn't around then (well not quite) I think dinosaurs would have felt at home with many of their plants. This garden definitely is very different to the types of gardens I'm used to.
Not sure if I liked it or not. Make up your own mind.
It was 35 degrees C in the shade on the day we were there and there was very lttle shade. I can't imagine what it would be like at the height of Summer. Maybe the dinosaurs became extinct with heat stress.

The garden was built on rock and contained a wide variety of cycads, euphorbias, agaves, aloes and cactii. I'm not going to even attempt to identify the various plants. Well, maybe I'll try, but I'm out of depth with cactii and succulents.


Most of the cycads were different to the ones we grow on the East Coast. There were quite a huge variety. This is just a small  sample.


I know this is a euphorbia not a cactus because the sign said so.

So, are both of these cactii? The front one is. I'm not sure about the other one.

These are agaves


Some euphorbias in flower

I know these as desert roses. Adenium obesum I think - could be wrong.
Another euphorbia

Finally, I know what this is - an Australian Boab tree (Adansonia gregorii) . They grow in the Northern Territory around Katherine, across northern Western Australian and around the Kimberleys. They are well adapted to the extremes of climate this region dishes up. They lose most of their leaves in the dry season, but will be lush again when the wet season starts. Boabs are very slow growing trees. This fellow would have been here long before the garden was started. They have very large seedpods which drop around the tree and start a family of boabs.

3 comments:

  1. I've made up my own mind, and I like it! I don't think I'd like the heat, but the variety of plants is pretty amazing. Many of those plants grow here in Florida too!

    That picture where you said that one is a cactus but you're not sure about the other one: Its actually an agave victoria-reginae, one of my favorite agaves for its architectural shape.

    Thanks for this fun post! Its nice to live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I've never seen many of those plants before so it was fun to see them here. I do have the Desert Rose. It was a house plant but seemed to be dying and almost dead so I put it out on my back porch to be taken to the garbage. It loved the 100° temps and no water. It bloomed with no leaves and now it has many leaves and is budding again. Thinking I might need to bring it in when it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Glad I found it! GG

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...