Tuesday, 28 December 2010

What to do when it's raining

Just like everyone in Queensland this year we had a very soggy Christmas. No real flooding thankfully just everything damp. In some parts of Queensland people are evacuating their houses due to flooding.
With the grandchildren visiting, the question became what to do with two small children to keep them happy and amused while the rain keeps pouring down.


There was a sandpit to play in (undercover on the back patio) and cartoons to watch.
For a brief moment one day the sun came out so they had a paddle but the water in the pool was too cool for a swim.
Then it was Christmas Day and there were toys left by Santa and some from us as well.

By the magic of the internet I got to talk to our grandchildren from Cairns on Skype on Christmas morning, to see them open their presents and open my presents from them. Cyclone Tasha (who is causing all this rain)had just crossed the coast but they were all safe and having a wonderful time.


We also got to talk to Pippa and Mel in Katherine on Skype, so even though we couldn't be with them all, we could share Christmas with all of our grandchildren.
By Monday we were all getting a little tired of the rain. Luckily we found a fun thing to do. 

 The Ipswich Rail Museum had "A Day out with Thomas" - mostly undercover. As well as a replica Thomas, all their usual trains had faces like the trains from Sodor. They also had a large room filled with toy trains and tracks. While the rain poured down outside the kids played with the toy trains and the life-sized ones.

They've left now to visit their other grandparents.

I'm venturing out to check what's surviving in the garden and what's not - as soon as the rain eases.

9 comments:

  1. The kiddies look so happy in all the images. I bet those big trains brought lots of smiles.

    It is great to be able to 'see' everyone at Christmas via the internet. Magic of the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rail museum was a great idea for your little people, I wish I'd thought of that! I've two boys at home who are out of routine with all the Christmas cheer and rain, driving me up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Skype the best! My son and his family are in the US but I still get to see my new granddaughter and talk with my 4 yo grandson, my son and his wife. Facebook also keeps us up to date with little snippets of their life and photos. Not the same as being there but so much better than having to wait weeks for sea mail like the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember well the days of trying to keep little kids entertained during miserable weather. They're playing with the same toys my kids loved. Thomas the Tank and castles are simply timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you survived the rain, and hope your garden is still thriving. You obviously succeeded in amusing the kids! I love the way the internet allows us to keep in touch with distant loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a fun-filled holiday, rain or not. Nothing like a covered porch on a rainy day! Glad you could find a way to be with the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see the rain didn't dampen your holiday mood! The kids look like they did just fine with all the thoughtful goodies you had for them. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really seem to have a good time!

    I hope you had a very merry Christmas and that you have the best happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like everyone had a nice time! Hope the rains eases off soon so you can get stuck in outside again :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...