Monday, 7 February 2011

Two of my favourite rainforest trees

The Pink Euodia (Melicope elleryana) has long been a favourite. Apart from the delicate pink flowers that form along the trees branches in Summer, it is a host plant for a number of butterflies and the nectar provides food for many native birds. In North Queensland the beautiful Ullyses butterfly favours this tree and planting one or two in the garden virtually guarentees they will visit. In Southern Queensland we don't see this wonderful butterfly but a number of others enjoy the Euodia's leaves and flowers.

 The second tree is the Ivory Curl Tree (Buckinghamia celsissima). This tree is commonly planted as a street tree around the Brisbane area. It requires no care whatsoever once it is established as it is perfectly suited to this environment.

I love both of them.

8 comments:

  1. They are both beautiful.I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both beautiful and not trees I am familiar with. I suppose it isn't that remarkable that we get to know the trees in our environment but not in others. This is one of the reasons I enjoy reading people's blogs...I get lots of tips and get to see lovely plants and trees that I haven't seen before. Thanks for the gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they beautiful.. i like both too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are cool trees! I've never seen either one of them in all my life. Just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous, the euodia's delicate pink is exquisite and to think this is a tree! The ivory curl tree looks as if there is no more room for any blooms, it is just packed with flowers. Is there any fragrance? How beautiful they both are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a bird in the first collage. The birds must have like the first one better. The white flowers resemble the flowers of a plant that looks like aloe vera. I've just taken a few photos and it looks so much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both very beautiful native trees. I remember when I first saw an Euodia, I was so impressed. Mine have grown now very tall and the flowers have grown out of my view, luckily the birds and butterflies can still reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missy, I absolutely adore the Ivory Curl Tree. What elegant flowers! One of the little things I miss about the tropics :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...