Monday, 4 April 2011

A great weekend in the garden

Finally we had a bit of fine weather this weekend - in between showers. It was enough to get the vege patch up and running again. The weather was close to perfect for gardening. It wasn't too hot. It would stay fine for an hour or two while I planted then there would be a shower of rain to water in the new plants and for me to have a coffee. Then the sun would come out and off I'd go again.


I planted out the strawberry runners into a separate bed, also sowed some rows of seeds (carrots, spring onions, peas, beetroot and asian greens) directly, plus planted some seedlings from the nursery - dwarf beans, button squash, snow peas, broccoli, apple cucumber and mixed lettuce. The seeds I started a couple of weeks ago are starting to shoot, but I was too impatient to wait. There'll still be room for them. John picked up more garden soil to top up the beds we raised over summer so they are yet to be planted.
The damp weather has been great for the seedlings. Almost every one has sprouted. I didn't mark what was sown in each tube so it's going to be a lucky dip when it comes time to plant them out. Hopefully I will be able to recognise most of them by their leaf shape and guess the others.

 So the vege patch is on its way now. The procrastination is over and we'll soon be eating our own produce again. I'm looking forward to next weekend to finish planting. 


Just to show we aren't totally disorganised - the inside of the garden shed is looking all neat and tidy. Tools along the back wall. The mulcher and mower on one side and shelves on the other side. Bins in the corner for fertiliser and shedded paper (for the chooks' nesting boxes). So far it's been a whole week and everything has been put back in it's place after use - that's a record around here!

12 comments:

  1. Such a NEAT and SHINY shed!!!! No trace even of a cobweb! Happy planting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you've some lovely weather ... no, not jealous at all! Your vegie garden is looking busy once more and your new shed is downright tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you had a very productive weekend, and your shed is looking so nice and organised. I laughed at your unmarked seedlings, that is what I often do..... My seedlings have gone all long and leggy from lack of sunshine I think. Hopefully they thicken up a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that beautiful shed... lovely organisation... do strawberry runners have to be replanted - it seems that lots of people do this, and I don't know if I need to???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, my strawberries were becoming overcrowded and wouldn't have survived if I didn't thin them out and replant the runners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shed is spic and span, quite an achievement :) Hope it carries on like that but when it does get disorganised (like most sheds) that's fine too, hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha that is the neatest shed I've ever seen. Ours is so cluttered we can't walk in the door but have to clambour over bikes and bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you had me laughing about the garden shed and putting things away...we are so guilty about tossing tools in the barn and not arranging them and then going on a scavenger hunt trying to find them again. I love the way your shed turned out and it's easy to see you are very organized!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where are all the saws, drills and other stuff that make a shed "the shed"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your shed...could you visit and organise mine please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Missi; Thank you for your comment. I am not sure with the seeds of Rosella. For sure seeds do sprout much better in warmer weather. Perhaps you try a few and keep the rest. I could let some of the pods ripen instead of picking them. When they are ripe I could send you some pods. I live in the Currumbin valley so it would not be a problem to send seed.

    I see you have been busy in the vegetable patch.
    It is a good time to be out there as long as the rain stops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun with your surprise veggies!! Every year I forget how I rearranged my garden beds and waiting for them to sprout is like waiting for Christmas. Your shed is awesome!! Very neat and clean. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...