Thursday, 26 May 2011

Frangipani seeds

It was just hanging on the tree. Some of the seed had already dropped.
I had never seen one of their seedpods open before.
I've seen them like this.

and like this.

Every frangipani I've ever propogated has been a cutting. They are one of the easiest plants to grow from cutting in our climate. It’s best to do it in the winter when sap movement is at its least, but they will strike at any time of year. All you need is a piece of hardwood about at least 30 cm (1 foot) long. I’ve taken cuttings a metre long and they have grown well. Leave the cutting lying on the ground for a couple of weeks to dry out a bit and then put it into some potting mix. Within a few weeks it will have formed roots.

We have a few frangipani trees in our garden – 18 to be exact. We love them for two reasons. Firstly, when they are in flower (for about half the year) they are spectacular. Secondly, we got most of them for free and they are so easy to grow.

This is the tree the seed pod was on earlier in the year when it was in full flower.

When we first started the garden, John’s Mum asked her friends at the bowling club for some cuttings. Apparently every elderly lady has a frangipani tree in their garden and they were all happy to share a cutting. We ended up with more than a dozen.
The two evergreen frangipanis came back from Katherine as cuttings in our suitcase 3 years ago.
I admit I have also bought a couple - a dark red one and one with star-shaped flowers.

You can tell I'm no expert - I don't have a clue on the various varieties. I had never thought (or even heard) of growing them from seed but, of course, to get all the new hybrids that are around someone must.
I'm guessing, since they grow in the warmer months I should keep the seed to try it next Spring. It probably won't be viable, but it's worth a try and will be exciting if I can grow one from seed.




6 comments:

  1. Gosh - I had also never heard of them seeding. I still battle with frangipani here during the wet season. I love all your varieties. My lipstick plant also has just had some similar seed pods - I am sure I will have them growing up all over the place now as they exploded before I saw them! Isn't it marvelous how our gardens keep coming up with these little surprises :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the incredible plants your blog showcases, I think the frangipani are my favorite. I really love the pink and orange one. GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tropical can you get with the beautiful blooms of Frangipani! There's a big following here, and I can see why. Not just the pretty flowers and colours, I also adore the scent, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Missy, thanks for posting the frangipani pods as i haven't seen them in my so many decades of existense. Maybe it needs some cold months for seeding. WE also have lots of them here, but no pods. I remembering seeing hills of them in plantation in Hawaii as they use them in making leis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really beautiful in bloom and an added bonus for evergreen.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Missy. The Frangipani seeds will be viable for about 3 years !! Just keep them in a cool dry place until you are ready to plant them. I just found my first pod today. P.S. You will find the whole ancestory in the pod.... a representation of so many colors, shapes of the plants etc. The only way to get a clone is by a cutting. The seeds are much more exciting.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...