Saturday, 7 May 2011

Remembering Mum

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.

Mum at 21 - on her honeymoon
 My mum was a strong lady and the major force in shaping my beliefs and attitude to life.

 She taught me valuable life lessons through example.
Lessons such as -
Being successful is mainly about being content with what you have.
The harder you work, the more you achieve. It's up to you.
Giving makes you happy, much happier than receiving.
You don’t need a man in your life to be happy, but when you have a good one cherish him.
Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut and sometimes you need to speak up....
 and much much more, of course….

Mum and Bev in Tasmania
When I was younger I knew more than she did, but as I got older Mum seemed to get wiser and I valued her advice more and more - on so many things. She was also the keeper of family recipes, phone numbers and birth dates and our childhood treasures. If we needed to know anything we asked her.

Mum and Dad
My Dad died just before my sixth birthday, so from the age of twenty-eight Mum raised my brother and I as a sole parent. Her own childhood with a terrible step-mother was traumatic therefore she never contemplated remarrying while we were growing up.

25th Wedding Anniversary
 Then at 47, with both her children grown, she married a wonderful man - Bevan. They had twenty-five happy years together and were true soul mates. Everyone who knew them spoke of them together as one word, a single entity. They were BevandAda, not Bevan and Ada.

Mum and I
In about 2 weeks, it will be three years since Mum passed away. Bevan followed her less than four months later. I still miss her. I miss her wisdom & her unconditional love, but I will always have what she gave me.

I am now the keeper of Mum’s recipe books, the family photos and childhood mementos. About two years ago I started compiling a book of favourite family recipes and memories. Pressures of daily life took over and I haven’t worked on it for quite a while. It’s about time I did. I don't want it to become an unfinished project.

I’m spending Mother’s Day working on the book - remembering Mum.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great day to spend Mother's Day. Remembering MOM...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mum sounds like an amazing lady. I lost my Mum when I was 9, so I've always felt a little jealous of those who got to really experience such a treasured relationship for many, many years.

    I just loved all your photos. That one of you Mum at the top looks like the classic Lone Pine Sanctuary photo that was taken as a stock standard thing whenever anyone visited that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernie - You picked it. That's exactly where ut was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your mother. She was a very strong lady, having to raise two young children on her own. And how very special that she was able to find Bevan to share her life with. Your project sounds like a fitting one for Mother's Day; working on your mother's favorite memories and recipes, what a wonderful book it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that was really lovely MIssy... sometimes in these blogs people write loving and touching things about their parents, and it makes me all the more determined to be the best mum that I can be. And BevandAda look so happy together - how wonderful for them to have found each other.

    I'd like to go and have a little cry now - a very moving post Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Big hug* for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such a moving post brings the prickle of tears!! So glad she found her Bevan. She sounds like she was a wonderful and well loved mum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a moving story, she sounds like an amazing woman, and made the best of a hard life. I couldn't think of a better way to spend mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand completely!! I spent part of today remembering my mom, too. She sounds like a really wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still catching up on some posts Missy, what a lovely tribute to your beloved Mum :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...