Monday, 11 July 2011

A lazy weekend

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
Pooh's Little Instruction Book, inspired by A. A. Milne

Saturday was cold but a beautiful sunny day and just perfect for gardening. There’s so much to do we didn’t know where to start.
The vegie patch needs attention. Plants don’t stop growing here just because it’s Winter.
While Ros sat and thought about where she’d start, I checked out how the vegies were doing...


It's looking a bit like a jungle at least from my level.

lots of chillies

The new red lettuce are doing OK.

plenty of snap peas

The carrots are growing well - not ready to harvest yet - and the bok choy looks healthy

 still plenty of beans

The potted herbs are happy in the sunlight but I noticed there are so many weeds growing around them, it's looking a bit messy.
I think I'd better tell Ros to start weeding.

She's not sure..... There is so much that needs doing...
If you start a job, should you finish it before you move to the next?
What if it’s a big, never-ending job like weeding?
The weeding will take so long there won't be time to do all the other jobs. It's a dilemma.

Sitting in the sun drinking coffee and looking at the garden doesn't get the work done either.

In the cycle of life that is our garden one job creates another. When you start  weeding you will notice a plant that needs trimming and that leads to pruning leads to shredding leads to composting leads to mulching leads to weeding (before spreading the mulch to suppress the weeds) …..
and then Ros goes inside and gets the camera and I can tell she’s thinking “I might start that weeding tomorrow”.

6 comments:

  1. Missy, isn't sitting in the sun just thinking about what needs to get done almost enough? Especially on those cooler days when Ros just wants to linger a little longer with the morning cuppa or cuppas! I'm sure she will be out there with you very soon. Those weeds will still be there in a day or two. Meanwhile, the vegies and herbs all look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I had that kind of weekend as well. I blamed it on the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, Missy, Ros just needs some time to think about what she wants to do next. Winters in your garden are so different from winters here in the Great White North, nothing grows then but snowbanks.

    I know just how Ros feels, I call it GADS (gardening attention deficit syndrome) and I find myself running in six different directions all at once and nothing much gets done.

    The garden is beautiful, and I loved the quote on the river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely bunch of produce on a winter's day! Sometimes when there's so much to do it's actually better to do the reverse and not do much and just enjoy the day (like what you guys just did). Most of time, the only person rushing us is ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I enjoyed this post! A lot of my "gardening time" is spent sitting in the sun drinking coffee, contemplating what needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vegies look so good! I love a full Vegie patch especially if it's gone a little jungley :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...