Wednesday, 23 November 2011

What's been going on

Normally this would be the time of year when I spend as much time  as possible in the garden. The weather is perfect - except that we could use some rain. Luckily we have three huge tanks to water the garden and currently water restrictions have been lifted and we can also use town water, so everything should be thriving.
Many of our ornamental plants are tropical and so they sulk or go completely dormant in Winter and start to come to life at this time of year.
The red stemmed ginger has reappeared and brought with it flowers.

The frangipani have their leaves back and are starting to bloom again.

Bromeliads are flowering all over the place.

The only problem is that I've been "a bit crook"....well actually more than a bit.... so everything has been neglected. I've discovered that all sorts of weeds REALLY love this time of year as well.  I took some photos of the garden beds overgrown with weeds so I can post some before and after shots when I eventually get them back in order again. (for some motivation)
Missy has been doing her doggy duty and has kept me company. In fact, I think she's enjoyed having me home and she doesn't mind the odd snooze on the bed or the couch.

In the vegie patch, most things are looking rather unwell too. There are shivelled strawberry plants, giant tough carrots that should have been harvested weeks ago and lettuce that's long ago gone to seed...and many wonderfully healthy weeds.  
There are a few things doing well however.


The corn and beans are looking after each other and ears are stating to appear. In the background (right) are some tomatoes on a very scrawny vine.
I didn't notice until I looked at the photos, that others seem to be appreciating the corn as well. Hopefully they won't do too much damage.

A pumpkin vine that self-seeded from the compost is very healthy. I don't eat pumpkin, but I'm sure I will be able to find someone who loves them.
Another doing well are the eggplants  - not bearing yet but looking healthy with plenty of flowers.

The chillies are doing well also. They love the heat.

So, even though it's being neglected, the garden seems to be doing OK without me.
Maybe I need it much more than it needs me.


4 comments:

  1. Oh sorry to hear you have been crook - hope you are on the mend now though. I have been noticing all the dormant plants come up myself. That is a very pretty red ginger, and gosh your corn is looking good. we have lots of those green grasshoppers as well - I am forever squashing them, but somehow they continue to multiply. Take your time getting back to full health - the weeds will still be there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, sorry to hear you have been struggling. Yes, we do need our gardens don't we? When you can't get out into it, you realise how much a part of you that earth contact is. Lots of good positive thoughts your way and don't worry about the weeds. I'm steadfastly turning a blind eye to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of ginger is that, mine was Curcuma elata, with flowers like that but the flowers come first before the leaves. However, since it is not one year yet it has profuse leaves and suckers and maybe flower after the dry season. I smiled at your few corn plants. My 10yr old nephew planted one corn plant, grows well but when it already has flowers, it suddenly lost all leaves overnight due to grasshoppers. It wasn't able to produce seeds at all after that. My nephew got a lot of lessons from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see some updated photos. But more importantly, hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...