Tuesday, 20 December 2011

The Road Trip

Rather than fly, we decided to drive to drive to Cairns this time. Actually, it wasn't a case of preferring to drive - I just didn't get around to booking airfares until it was too late to get a cheap ones and it seemed a good option. It's just over 1700kms from Brisbane to Cairns. You wouldn't drive there for a weekend. 
We divided the trip into three parts - Rockhampton the first night (670km north), Townsville the next (another 720km), then on to Cairns.
John and I each chose a stack of CDs and bundled them into a bag - all our old favourites.

Leaving Rocky after the first night, the sign showed we still had a long way to go.

 We took turns with the driving, listening to our favourite music (sometimes singing along out of tune), checking out the changing scenery (lots of cows and crops and trees mainly), and sometimes chatting about life and things you may normally not get to talk about when you're busy with the usual rat race. We decided to each make a "bucket list" and on New Years Day we'll show each other.  I'm sure like most couples our dreams for the future are similar, but it will be interesting to see how they compare.

The motel in Townsville was more like a tropical resort - a huge swimming pool surrounded by tropical gardens - and the food at their restaurant was top class. Best barramundi I've tasted (and I have tasted lots).

On the third day, with Jimmy Buffett providing the background music, we arrived in Cairns - a bit tired from the drive but more relaxed I think than if we'd battled the traffic to the airport and the queues...
We've settled into our unit (which of course is surrounded by a wonderful tropical garden) are looking forward spoiling the grandkids.


The view from the balcony's obscured by trees.

5 comments:

  1. I love a good road trip. I did lots of good parenting whilst driving. As you say, ample opportunities to talk about stuff you don't have time for...without the pressure of 'face to face' talking (which is good with teenagers...LOL). I love the idea of a individual bucket lists to be compared. Have a great time with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds as though you had a good drive. Have fun up in our neck of the woods, I am sure you will have a great time with the grands. I know ours are getting excited about Christmas, and counting the sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do have a great time! A road trip is a wonderful way to holiday with family. Merry Chirstmas, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tropical gardens, seafood and Jimmy Buffett, not hard to take. Down here in the south it's raining again and we are often turning the heater on at night. I think I heard on the news that it's the coldest start to summer in Brisbane in something like forty years? Not sure, it's hard to keep track of all the statistics they are reporting during this strange year.
    Enjoy your holiday and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a long one! But I am sure the spectacular sights on the roadsides make up for the tired body. I have a cousin in Mackay but of course, haven't been there. During my stay in Sydney my longest was a day trip to Coffs Harbour, and i certainly loved and missed it. Merry Christmas and a Blessed 2012 for you and family.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...