Thursday, 26 January 2012

Goings on around the pond

There's been a lot going on around the pond lately - both in and out of the water.

John has made a bio-filter for the pond and redesigned the stream and waterfall (again). It works well, just needs to be finished off and "landscaped".

I don't know exactly what's in the filter or how he constructed it, but it works. The water is clear and healthy.

The local residents seem to be enjoying their upgraded living conditions.

This young fellow (hiding behind the pipe) has been calling potential mates night and day - not sure when he sleeps.
He makes a popping noise rather than a croak.

Results have been produced. A group of eggs have appeared in one of the pots. I hope the fish don't eat all the tadpoles when they hatch.

9 comments:

  1. Your pond is looking great. I have a toad that lives in my green house! he has his own water tray he loves to sit in trouble is I don't have a pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to see another pond project! Looking great and well done to the hubby for making the bio filter which 'clearly' works. Looking forward to the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a filter would be very handy. There's a lovely Rocket frog. T♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh that looks so lovely - don't you have any problems with cane toads getting in and laying their eggs? I understand they will eat frog eggs, so all the ponds here have to have cane toad fences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have problems with toads occasionally. We keep an eye out and when we see one we use a long stick, plastic bag and the freezer.

      We've since moved the eggs to our other small pond which has no fish and is raised high enough so no toads.

      Delete
  5. I can see the filter is working beautifully; is there barley straw involved? Wish my pond looked like yours. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I don't have a clue what's in there. I know he experimented with a few things.

      Delete
  6. Your pond looks just lovely. The alocasias(?) really add interest. Great golden cane palms behind it, too. My gold goldfish vanished mysteriously after only a few weeks, though the two speckled ones are still there. I suspect he/she was a bit conspicuous and must have become a snack to a kingfisher. I have just bought one replacement - black with an orange belly so hopefully he won't present such a target.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Missy, i have not been here for a while, missed some happenings. That's a lovely ingredient for a garden, how i wish there is someone to construct something like that for me!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...