Thursday, 22 March 2012

John's Escaping

 Soon, Missy won't have to look after the place all by herself.

John is escaping the rat race.


He’s being let out of his cage.
 He is retiring.

He’s set the date and given his notice.

He has eight weeks left to work.
He's counting down the days.

I'm really happy for him, but....
 must make a confession.
I’m a wee bit jealous.

I’m committed to the rat race for a while yet.
(That's me in the red car)

He tells me he will be busy working hard at home.

He has many projects to occupy his time.
There are always lots of jobs to do in the garden.
He says I will come home to a clean house and cooked dinner every night.
I'll like that!
We'll both have more free time on weekends.
He can see his grandchildren more often.
(instead of a quick occasional visit)
The boat he's been building may get finished and launched.
Finally
He's not thinking of it as retirement, merely becoming self-employed.
He'll do the work he hasn't had time to do because he's been going to work each day.


As I sit in the traffic on my way to work
I picture him relaxing and enjoying life.

 
I bet he sleeps in sometimes.

I would.

 

7 comments:

  1. I'll be teaching til I'm 64 if I want to pull a full retirement, which I do. Because my husband and I moved so much with the military I didn't begin with my current district til I was 34. I'm only 42 so I have a long way to go! I'm a bit jealous but hooray for him!! I'd sleep in, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Good for him - and good for you to have someone make you lovely meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've taught for 31 years, but still need to work 9 more to pay off the house. Then, I can retire. So happy for your husband!!!
    Nice to see that it actually happens to someone.
    :0) David

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby always gets up to see me off to work, but I am also pretty sure that some mornings he climbs back into bed. Life is full of transitions isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, your time will come, but i am sure your work will be easier at home by then. I just hope he will keep his promise, of cleaning the house and who knows keep the food hot for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky man! I'm a little jealous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made me smile reading this :) Well written and thoughtful, a celebration of John's retirement from working for others. Now he'll be pleasantly working for himself!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...