Tuesday, 15 May 2012

GBBD May - Quick before they disappear

Only 2 weeks to go until winter is officially here.While most of our flowering plants prefer the warmth, we are lucky to have something flowering in our garden all year round. Change of seasons marks a changing of the guard.
Poinsettias are just starting to show their colour and will provide bold bright colour through the cooler months.

A close cousin, Snow Flake Euphorbia leucocephala is starting to bloom as well.

Most of our other plants are slowing down for Winter - like me. This morning it was 1 degree C and a bit harder to get out of bed.
Many of our plants go dormant or (at the very least) look ratty over winter. They are being chopped back and shredded then given a nice deep blanket of mulch to keep their roots warm. Others will continue to flower all through winter but are not at their best in the cooler months.




A few hibiscus continue to bloom, but only an odd flower here and there. They will be pruned back by approximately a third over the next few weeks. We grow these three as a hedge along the side fence of the pool area so they need to be kept under control.

The Brasilian Red Cloak is an autumn flowerer and will soon be finished.

The Alamnda is almost finished flowering as well. It will be cut back to about half its size.

Strelizia continue throughout winter but with less blooms. At least there are a few flowers left to enjoy.

The Long Johns Triplaris surinamensis are in flower. We have two males and while their flowers aren't as colourful as the female tree, you must agree they look like golden sparklers in the sunshine.

Callistamen keeps flowering
The heliconias are holding on but need to be cut back soon. Each stem flowers once then dies back. We won't see them again until the weather warms up.


In other parts of the world it's Spring and gardens are bursting with blooms. Check them out at Carol's May Dreams Gardens.

Before you go though, I have to show you my bromeliad flower again.

This is the same flower I photographed last month. Not only are they huge, they last for ages.

15 comments:

  1. I'm surprised at how low your temperature get and still be able to grow such beautiful exotics. Have a Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloha

    yes it is our spring coming up, but lucky for us tropical plants are happy blooming year round, love all your fancy hibiscus blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely selection to see you through the colder days. I envy you your warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty flowers specially hibiscus and Poinsettias. Like your blog, many australian plants go very well in my subtropical climate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fall garden is bursting with color! Lovely way to head into winter. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My poinsettia succumbed to disease - it was covered in those little white flies every year, so it might have had something to do with that.. I miss that splash of red. I love those pompom hibiscus - I really must look out for one. My that does sound cold - you are amazing to be able to keep the tropicals going in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is lovely and bright - those hot colours will help warm things up in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Strelizia. Please tell me the secret of getting the Strelizia to bloom. I have a clump for more than three years and it has not rewarded me with a single bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do best in full sun. I have a couple in shady spots with far less blooms. Otherwise nothing special. They rarely even get watered except for rain.

      Delete
  9. Oh my...... What beauties you have growing naturally whereas here in Central Texas we only see such glories for sale as potted house plants. I think I have a small version of your featured bromeliad in a pot on the back deck right now. It is an absolutely amazing flower.

    Past that I have all sorts of hibiscus and poinsettia envy working now. Thanks so much for sharing your end of season star bloomers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bromeliad flower is wonderful and worthy of a repeat. I love the Red Cloak; I planted one earlier in the year, but don't think I have had a flower yet. Yours is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tropical collection is just fabulous. I need to venture more into the world of Aechmeas! I can't get away with growing Heliconias unless I store them in my already full greenhouse each winter.
    Yes, D. discolor is correct!!! I checked with Huntington Botanical Gardens in New York and their photo matched perfectly. I love when my friends know the answers.
    Hope the Jack Frost(as we call him here) stays away from your beautiful tropical garden.
    :0) David

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day! I did a double-take on the date of your post once I read the sentence about winter approaching. It’s so much fun to see what is going on in gardens around the world. The heliconias is so unique looking and the bromeliad flower looks like a tropical bird or fish to me. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so odd to think about winter approaching but then it must be equally strange to hear American gardeners swooning over summer. :o) Of course if my garden were as lush and beautiful as yours during winter, I wouldn't mind it approaching. Growing up in California we had strelizia but we called them Bird of Paradise plant. We also called callistamen Bottle Brush plant. The Latin name is much prettier!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...