Saturday, 25 August 2012

Glebe Garden Club Plant Fair

The Glebe Garden Club held its annual plant fair this weekend. By comparison with the larger Plant Expos it's quite modest. There were about 50 stalls selling plants. Some were commercial nurseries, but quite a number were private gardeners or club members. This is what makes this plant fair special. With every plant came the added bonus of advice from the gardener that grew the plant.

A feast of flowers for Spring
 
 
It was nowhere near as crowded as some of the larger shows so we could browse at a leisurely pace and the stallholders could chat about their own gardens. I met a lady selling begonias, chickens and ducklings whose garden is only a few minutes drive from us. They are part of the Australian Open Garden Scheme and have an open garden in November but she gave me her number and said if I call first I'm welcome anytime, so I may not wait until November. She breeds Indian Runner ducks and says they get on very well with chooks. I would love to have a couple.
 
For the cottage garden enthusiasts

 
There was even a "live band" although it wasn't exactly my style of music, it added to the carnival atmosphere. There was a program of speakers throughout the day and a "cafe" area with all the food supplied by club members, so you could make a day of it if you wanted to. We were in a bit of a rush so didn't stay to sample their wares, though the plates of goodies looked tempting.

This was what we came home with
 - some maidenhair fern for along the shady path, a few begonias and some more succulents.
I now have more than enough to fill my succulent wall.
 
John couldn't resist this abutilon. It's going into a hanging basket.
 
Euphorbia pugiformis
This stall holder had her succulents all planted up in old crockery (with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage). I'd better keep away from op shops for a while or I may end up with a collection of them.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! SO happy that there are "cottage garden enthusiasts" in Queensland! Hope I'll be able to find a spot for a little "Melbourne Garden" in our new place.We have just returned home from a short visit to Brisbane to find a rental property. (Which we found in North Lakes)-Now to finish all the packing up. btw enjoyed your "A to Z"- you are about the same age as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a plant fair, and to be able to talk to the gardeners about their plants and how they perform is invaluable. Love the abutilon and the succulents. Looks like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good time. Plant fairs can be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for spring!! I've been trying to convince Mr Bok to let us get a pair of Indian runner ducks too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those ornamental cabbages, but we cannot grow them in our lowlands, very hot for them. Yes, that abutilon is very colorful, i wouldn't be able to live without it too, if i were you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The abutilon looks like an interesting plant. Have not seen this before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new babies you came home with all look adorable. I hope that they do well in your garden.
    I'm not sure I would have been able to only buy a few plants...you were a good girl.....I love plant fairs, very easy to get carried away.
    Wish you were here, I could have shared some succulents and ferns with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun. I like the idea of the drilled holes in crockery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it was fun and you got yourself some great looking plants there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog contains to the interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...