Monday, 8 April 2013

Back in the veggie patch

I grow most vegetables during the cooler months of the year. In Summer there are numerous challenges - heat, humidity, heavy rain, bugs, bugs and more bugs and the range we can grow is limited. Autumn and Winter are perfect growing months for so many things. Usually Easter marks the restart of the veggie patch but this year it snuck up on me before I was ready. So, better late than never, over the weekend we got everything underway. John and I spent most of the weekend in the garden.

The beds were dug and refreshed with compost, blood and bone, etc.  I planted a real mixture - seeds  directly sown in the garden, seeds into seed trays and seedlings (some purchased and some raised in our shadehouse).  - Carrots, snow peas, beetroot, shallots, rocket, beans and broccholi seeds sown directly. Lettuce, strawberries and tomatoes bought as seedlings. Parsley, pak choy, bok choy and basil  seedlings raised by us.
Everything was covered with a layer of mulch when we'd finished.


Plus - lots of seeds into a variety of trays and containers will be ready to plant out over the coming weeks.
It's hard to describe how much I enjoy growing things and especially things to eat. But then, for another gardener, I'm sure I don't have to.


We've left the frame we used to protect the lettuce in summer but removed the shade cloth. They will be fine without any protection from the sun this time of year.
In the background are a few of our summer survivors. The sweet potato has almost filled the bed and engulfed the capsicum plants (sickly with no fruit), the lone tomato (lots of fruit but being eaten by bugs) and the eggplants. I hope we get a few sweet potato to eat and it's not just all show. I haven't dug around in there yet.


At least the eggplants are going well. I tried the white eggplant as well as the purple this year. 

There are still some aspasagus spears coming up. (also over-run with the sweet potato vine)
Since I discovered how nice they are raw and straight from the garden, very few make it inside anymore.


We have had a lot of rain recently. Look how lush the mint and comphrey are, and I haven't been watering. These are grown down the shady end of the veggie patch with the gingers and herbs that don't like too much sun.
So all the hard work is done and with a bit of TLC we will soon be harvesting our produce.
What's not to like about gardening.

5 comments:

  1. I envy your time in the garden, and even with the "bugs, bugs and more bugs" you still get plenty. We can also plant during the dry season but it is like hell for the gardener, so it is tenable only before sunrise and after sunset. But of course water is a bit difficult. How i love those vegies in the colder climes, e.g. asparagus, we can't grow them but buy them expensively from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree with you on the asparagus! Your garden is looking good, and Easter was early this year, so you are excused! I planted out a few seeds, but will wait a bit for veggies that like it a bit cooler like the snow peas and broccoli. My sweet potato bed was all show - the few potatoes I got had been eaten by grubs :(. Do you get bacterial wilt down there? I wonder if the white eggplant would do better up here - they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of those white eggplants... I must give them a go. My asparagus aren't yet old enough to taste but come spring I will try them raw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, eating asparagus spears fresh out of the garden is so cool...enjoy enjoy enjoy!
    Looks like you can open up your own organic vegetable food section soon.
    Lots of hard work and sacrifice went into your food garden, and I'm happy for you.
    Give Missy a tummy rub for me and a lick from Brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys have been very busy indeed and good work on the veggie patch. Funny enough I've never heard of white aubergines before (and I love aubergines!) and seeing it has made me very curious what it tastes like!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...