Thursday, 16 May 2013

What's Blooming Mid-May

Winter is on it's way. There's a nip in the air each morning and the sun is retiring early and sleeping in. We've a some rain but generally sunny clear days this month.

The poinsettias are coming into bloom. They always add colour during the cooler months. We prune them back each year after flowering and take cuttings so have quite a few throughout the garden.

When one is missed and allowed to grow without pruning, it reaches almost as high as the palm trees.

The Brazilian Red Cloak is covered in blooms. Some of the bracts are up to 30cm / 12 inches tall.

Continuing on the red theme, the callistomen has started to flower as well.

Pretty little ablutens
 
There are still flowers on the alamanda. It will be trimmed back soon (when all the flowers have finished).
 
Just a few blooms left on the tibouchina
 
 Justicia Brandegeana seems to like this time of year. The plants are almost covered by the ornamental sweet potato I used as a ground cover - but I like the contrasting colours.

I seem to have a couple of colour themes in different parts of the garden - the various reds and deep greens, then there's the yellows and purples. Complimentary colours on the colour wheel. Really, it's just which plants I like growing together.

an up close shot
 
The salvias have surpised me. I planted these last spring. They died back and sulked over summer and have started blooming again now that the weather has cooled a bit. - Maybe they've self-seeded and these are completely new plants. If so, the colour is true to form so I'm happy with the result.
 
I don't know it's name, but this bromeliad surprised me with it's "flower" as well.
 
Gardens are constantly changing, whether you want them too or not. I love to wander and observe. There are often surprises to be found. I love it when they are pleasant surprises.
 
 
 
Enough garden! It's game time!
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Pleasant surprises are fab aren't they? Nice batch of blooms there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Poinsettias too - in fact I was just admiring one in a neighbor's garden that is so big it is actually a tree.

    Those salvias certainly do self seed, and they live for many years. I ought one a few years ago, got rid of it and now its babies are popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, it's Brownie here...how have you been?
    Our two mums are always going on and on about the garden this and the garden that, but who needs all that chatter?
    Although I must admit that your garden is looking quite nice with the lovely poinsettia blooms.
    I just want to let you know that I love your cow....take care...woof woof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Adam. Those Salvia splendens hybrids do self-seed. They're simply fabulous! You've got great colour everywhere. I do particularly love the yellow Justicia and Ipomoea combination. My purple Ipomoes died off over the summer and doesn't look like returning. I think I need to plant more. We're still getting some rather warm days up here in the north, although this morning was a lot cooler. We're also getting some unusual soft rainfall which is a bit unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some wonderful plants in your garden Ros, we grow tibouchina and poinsettia down here, our neighbour has poinsettia, he lets it grow as tall as the house before lopping it. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, they are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, you have a lot of colors. This is my first time to see that color of Justicia, lovely. Your plants look they receive good watering or rain, healthy and contented. Poinsetias here planted on the ground because of dry weather don't grow that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a wonderful plants in your garden and it is undeniably very lovely! But among those lovely blooms my favorite would be the Tibouchina, as it generally like an acid soil type, and sometimes the edges of the leaves have a burnt appearance due to the soil not being acidic enough, which can be rectified by the addition of sulfur.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...