Thursday, 10 October 2013

Some Random Shots of the Garden


Thought I'd share a few random photos around the garden, in case you're wondering whether it's still there or not. It's lucky (for the neighbours) that our garden is screened by plants. I'm sure most people would think I was mad taking photos of plants so early in the morning in my PJs.... but I know garden bloggers understand.

 Recently the temperatures have been almost the same as mid-summer with quite a few days in in the high 30s, but we haven't had rain for many weeks. Tropical plants like moisture with their heat, so quite a few of them are not looking their best - but I know they'll survive. They've seen weather like this before and they are tough.

The tree ferns hate the dry heat. They got scorched on the first hot dry day but as long as we keep some water up to them they'll bounce back quickly once it rains.


The fish thought I was there to feed them.


Golden candles is covered in blooms. We have a few of these in the garden and they seem to do best when they get morning sun but  shelter in the heat of the day.

 Bougainvillea LOVE hot dry conditions. This is their favourite time of year. They are one of our few plants in flower at the moment. I keep my bougainvillea in pots to control their growth. If they were in the ground they would go berserk.

 In most gardens, particularly in temperate regions, Spring is the time for an abundance of blooms. For us, a hot dry Spring is more a time of keeping plants watered and mulched so they will survive until the Summer rains appear.

There are a few water features around the garden, as well as the pool (which has been getting quite a bit of use lately). Ponds and water features help with keeping some humidity in the air. Shade, of course, helps as well and as our garden matures and the trees grow taller there is more and more shade.

Bromeliads may look like they would be a fussy plant but are actually very tough. I'm sure though, like the rest of us, they would like it to rain soon......please!

6 comments:

  1. It has been ages since it rained here too. I dont remember having brown grass before up here! I wish my golden candles looked like yours, they do get morning sun and afternoon shade, but never flower! grrr. Yours are boootiful! Thank you for sharing - yellow flowers always put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand taking photos in your pajamas, occasionally my neighbours catch me at it... but they're gardeners as well, or just laid back to they understand completely :D Plus if you're out there early in the morning it's so much cooler than in the middle of the day or the afternoon. I enjoyed winter while it lasted, but summer temperatures sure did come early...

    At the moment as you said it's all about mulching and trying to keep the water up to everything which can be a pain because in the afternoons after school I don't have time for much else... I can't wait until the rain arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We understand and what a treat!! So much colour even in early spring there and even the fish look happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bougainvilleas in pots are the best way to go.
    Your garden still looks good despite the heat. I've lost quite a few plants this year from the intense heat.....no amount of water could have saved them.
    Say hello to Missy from Brownie, who is here lying at my feet under my desk as I type this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had an insane amount of rain lately after two dry months. I have standing water in my backyard and my rain garden riverbed looks like a lake. But before it rained the ground was bone dry and brittle. I'm always out in the garden in my pajamas or robe. :o) Your garden still looks beautiful to me, even when its thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This garden is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...