Monday, 10 February 2014

Missy's going to the dentist

Although Missy may look (and occasionally act) like a young puppy she will turn 14 in July.
Over the past year or so she has begun to feel her age. We add joint rejuvenating powder to her meals to help her arthritis (a mixture of glucosamine and fish oil). She has a tablet every morning and night to stop seizures which started about a year ago, then at her latest check-up, we were told she needs to have some dental work done.
She needs to have two teeth extracted under a GA tomorrow.


Age is catching up with her. She still brings squeaky toys to us to play "throw and chase" and shakes the life out of them when she's in the mood, but after two or three throws she now hides the toy and has a rest. She still takes note of neighbourhood dogs barking, but instead of racing to the fence to join in, she growls and looks at me like an old lady complaining about rowdy children. There's more sleeping on the job now than supervision as well. Sometimes she can't even be bothered going out into the garden so just supervises from the back door. (especially on hot days or on rainy days)

Waiting patiently for dinner
She has cataracts so her vision is not as clear as it once was and she often misses my car come up the driveway when I get home from work, so we think maybe her hearing is not what it was either - but she still greets me with the same enthusiasm (when she realises I'm home) and demands "up for cuddles and tummy rubs". One sense hasn't diminished. Her sense of smell is still as keen as ever. Her poor starving dog act whenever bacon, chorizo or chicken (or any meat for that matter) is detected could still win an Oscar.
So, Miss Dog, I hope the doggy dentist doesn't hurt too much and you're feeling much better with those decayed teeth gone. She'll need lots and lots of cuddles afterwards.

10 comments:

  1. Bless Missy! Hope everything goes well and she feels better and recover very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Missy, have no fear, the dentist will take care of your teeth and you will feel all better. I've had some of mine taken out too, and the last time my vet said that my teeth will need a cleaning soon.
    I must say that you still look very good for a 14 year old lass, and even though we all have our old age aches and pains, we are still loved and fussed over like new born babes.....don't we love it.
    Sending you love and wishing you lots of happy healthy days ahead......your Bajan pal Brownie.....woof woof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I supervise from the back door too!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh poor Missy - I never realised she was elderly - hope the dentist is not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy survived the dentist. I think the most traumatic thing for her was not getting breakfast beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were wondering how Missy was doing...thanks for posting an update.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Missy. All worth it for a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Missy, I'm glad all went well. My two Shih tzu's are both 14 also, and age is taking a toll. Both have congestive heart failure and there are many pills a day. They love the pills, though, since they come wrapped in turkey from me, it's a treat.

    Missy looks like a young dog yet, she's had a wonderful life with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my dogs is 16 and just had 3 teeth removed during her cleaning. But she came through like a champ but moaned every time we walked by to let us know her opinion of the entire procedure. It was really funny. I'm glad Missy is doing well. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...