Thursday, 20 February 2014

Plants for a smaller garden?

I've been looking around Missy's Garden trying to decide what to plant in our new garden. It will definitely be tropical but much much smaller than this one so I have to be selective.

 Some of the gingers and heliconias are flowering. It's nice to see splashes of colour throughout the green foliage. If you want your garden to have a tropical feel, these are a must.
 Choosing which ones will be the hard part.


The beehive ginger flower reliably each year. The new beehive ginger plants I bought last year (red, chocolate and yellow) haven't flowered yet.  I will have to decide what to do with them - leave them behind, dig them up and take them or give them away. Our future garden will be so much smaller I will need to choose carefully what to take with us. There won't be room for everything. That's the problem with collecting so many plants that you love I suppose.

These heliconia psittacorum grow to only a meter or so in height but can spread to fill as large a space as you let them. Kept under control, they would be fine in a small garden.  If you are wondering what the strange garden ornament on the lawn is, It's a sprinkler sitting on a block of wood.

The yellow strelitzia has it's first flower. It's a much smaller plant than it's cousins so doesn't need as much room. Perfect maybe for a smaller garden.

Bamboo definitely will not be on my list. I love our bamboo grove. They are taller than the house and each clump is now about 2 meters diameter.

I'm sure quite a few bromeliads will find their way to the new garden but those that are established in trees will be staying where they are. That's a passionfruit vine self-seeded from the compost growing through them. I must pull it out before it gets too big.

I have nothing against passionfruit. In fact I think they are a staple in any Queensland garden. Beautiful flowers plus beautiful fruit - what more can you ask.

I haven't decided about the Brazilian Red Cloak yet. I'm pretty sure it will grow from a cutting but it can grow into quite a large bush. It is attractive though, with glossy green leaves and large red flowers into autumn and winter. maybe I'll strike a few cutting as see what happens.

6 comments:

  1. It must be a difficult task trying to decide on which plants you want for the new garden. The passionfruit bloom is gorgeous and so is the red cloak. The bamboo looks massive, I can see why you might not want it in a smaller garden. I thought about planting some 'dwarf' bamboo here, but wasn't sure it would stand our cold winters. You have so many beautiful plants to choose from, and you certainly know how to site them to their best advantage. Your new garden will be a showcase, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decisions, decisions...only a select few will make it! I did think some bromeliads will definitely make it, and also that yellow flowered Strelitzia sounds perfect for the new garden. Looking forward to seeing what you will be choosing for the new garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely try to take some of the exotics with me....the ones that are not seen everywhere because they are special.
    If you decide not to take that lovely red ginger in the first photo or the heliconia psittacorum or the yellow strelitzia please give me a shout.....they're absolutely beautiful and I don't have them.
    You must take a croton or two for the beautiful foliage....they grow well in pots.
    I have a miniature bamboo which grows along the side of my driveway....it doesn't get out of hand.
    Oh before I forget, you can also keep some palms in a pot as well. I've got a palm alley right outside my kitchen door growing beautifully in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some exciting but nervewracking decisions to make. I know strelitzia dont like to be moved and will take quite a few years to flower after being moved. Have you decided on a house yet? I thought you said you were building, but then showed an awesome house with a well established garden. I think one thing I did wrong with mine was to have too many plants where I just have one of each. Even in a small garden it is nice to have repeats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are building but we picked the design from a display home. Our land is currently only dug up dirt.

      Delete
  5. You have already done a great on your garden. It looks so tropical! Love the gingers.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...