Monday, 7 April 2014

Autumn in the garden

The leaves don't change colour during Autumn in the sub-tropic but that doesn't mean the garden is uninteresting. I am amazed this time each year at the cross-over of seasons and the range of plants in  flower to be found as I walked around the garden.

 
The camera can't capture this frangipani's true colour. It's actually darker than this. 

 
I trimmed this plant back to about half its size to take cuttings for the new garden.
It's obviously forgiven me and is flowering profusely.

 
Most of the frangipanis are still putting on a show. They will start to lose their leaves soon and look like bare storks over Winter, but until then I'm appreciating their beauty and their perfume.
 
 
Even some of the heliconias are still blooming.
 
 
This hibiscus was cut back a few months ago to about a third of its size. It had started to look rather scrawny, but since its trim it is thick and lush and has just started flowering again.
 
 
 Along the pathway near the pool we have pentas (red & white) golden candles and a pink allamanda - butterfly alley.

I was going to train the allamanda up a post and into a weeping standard. 
 I'll probably run out of time before we have to move.

 
Nearby the tibouchina has just started flowering. It remains covered in blooms for most of Winter.

 
The bees don't seem to have discovered it yet but they will soon.
 
 
The Brazilian Red Cloak looks amazing. I think I'll take a few cutting for the new garden.
To have a shrub like this flowering during Winter cheers the soul.
 
 
Justica Brandegeana, the shrimp plant is in full bloom as well.
Perhaps all the plants are appreciating the rain we've had lately after the hot dry Summer.
 
 
A bromeliad flower. It will last for a few months.
 
 
Cooktown orchid.
 
This was a lovely little surprise I found when I went into the shadehouse to check how my cuttings are progressing.
It's been growing on a piece of wood totally forgotten and overlooked until it flowered.
 
 
By the way, the cuttings look ready to pot up.
 
Enough wandering around the garden. Time to get to work.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. You are moving along quite nicely with your garden moving plans.....the cuttings look great.
    I have some cuttings rooting too (you inspired me!!) and I will write a post on them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful are your autumn garden plants. Plants I can dream of, and never have seen. On the other side of the globe we have Spring. Hundreds of tulips.also nice.groetjes from Holland,
    Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Far from uninteresting, the garden still looks wonderful in the autumn! Can't wait to see what you come up with the new garden and those cuttings are the start of something great again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful flowering shrubs, the tibouchinas hibiscus and franjipanis are still in flower down here as well. Enjoy your wonderful autumn weather.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...