Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Potting up the cuttings

For those plants that can be propagated from cuttings, it has to be the easiest and cheapest way to multiply your plants. All it requires is a pair of secateurs, some potting mix and a little bit of patience.
The cuttings I started about 2 months ago in Styrofoam boxes were ready to be moved into pots.
Apart from noticing new growth, the easiest way to tell when they're ready is to give them a little tug. Resistance means there are roots.


 Cordylines produce root quickly. They are one of the easiest plants to propagate.

 
It's then simply a matter of planting them in pots. I add some Osmocote slow release fertiliser and some water crystals (to help them on their way) then return them to the shadehouse.

 
I ended up with 25 new plants from this one tray. At the nurseries they cost up to $10 each so not a bad saving.


The shadehouse is starting to look quite full already and I still have lots more to pot up. Lucky I've saved lots of old pots.

Now that the weather is starting to cool down, cuttings will not strike as readily, so I'll be moving my efforts to different methods of propagation -  division of roots and clumping plants. Gingers, cannas and heliconias will grow from a piece of root. Liriope, spiderlily, mondo grass and rhoeo (Tradescantia spathacea) divide easily to make new plants.
The greenhouse will be overflowing by the time I finish.

3 comments:

  1. Greenhouse overflowing soon indeed, ready for your new garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy's master, hehe. I am glad my old blogger friends are still there waiting for me. Thanks for the visit. You are very resourceful, it is not very common with persons with lots of resources. I use a lot of recycling here too especially with my hoyas! But what i want is to have those wires you use as table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea the wire is a wire fence panel I scrounged. Makes a good shelf for the greenhouse.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...