Monday, 17 November 2014

A long weekend is always welcome. With the G20 in Brisbane we were given Friday as a public holiday, or as I called it, a bonus gardening day. Being greedy I decided to take Thursday as a leave day and had a 4 day weekend.
Woke early each morning and got straight out into the garden  before it got too hot. I divided bromeliads and repotted some I want for the new garden and cleaned up a few areas.
John and I also chopped out some of the bamboo that was spreading or was starting to look tatty.
Didn't think about getting out the camera so there's not a single photo to prove my hard work but I did take some afterwards of some blooms around the garden.

 
 
 I'm pleased I had the couple of days before the weekend to get work done because Saturday and Sunday were seriously HOT - 43C. Even by 8 am it was too hot to keep working in the yard.
 
 
This shell ginger is in a pot and under shadecloth
 
 

We have an overhead misting system (the black pipe along the back) to keep this area watered.

 
Also found this orchid blooming. 
 
 
 
To accompany the scorching sun there was a hot dry wind. There has been no rain for a long time as well so the wind stirred up dust. Even the pool was covered in a film of dust.
 
 
All we could do was watch as the fronds of our tree ferns burnt to a crisp.


New fronds were in the process of unfurling (being Spring supposedly) but I will be surprised if any survive unscathed.


The poor chickens really feel the heat. They had shade and I sprayed them and their pen with water as well as regularly topping up the water bowls, but we lost one of our older ladies to the heat.

 
Missy came and helped when I was outside a few times, but the heat was too much for her well. She preferred to be in the air con. Smart dog.

I suppose we are fortunate these extreme heat spells only last a couple of days. After last weekend 37C seems quite pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your poor chicken :(
    I want to jump in that pool so badly. I do the same thing sometimes with forgetting to take photos. Then I think, hang on, getting it done is actually more important than constantly stopping to take pictures. Still, it's good to be able to look back at the before pictures (when time allows photography).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for long weekends! Such things are needed by the working soul every so often. Sorry to hear about the chicken though :( at least the heatwave is now over as such high temperatures are oppressive

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you lost one of "the girls" to the heat, I hope the others will be okay.
    We gardeners all know that long weekends are gardening weekends....it's an unwritten code or rule somewhere. Glad you got lots of work done.
    Missy did the same thing as Mr.B, came outside to make sure you were working and that you were okay in the heat and then disappeared back indoors....very smart.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think and appreciate your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...